Sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) within the Department of Homeland Security, National Preparedness Month encourages Americans to take steps to prepare for emergencies in their homes, businesses, schools, and communities.
- Make an Emergency Plan.
- Sign up for alerts and warnings in your area.
- Learn your evacuation zone and have an evacuation plan.
- Check your insurance coverage and review the Document and Insure Property guide.
- Plan financially for the possibility of disaster.
In an email message from the US Department of Veterans Affairs Caregiver Support program, this reminder is especially relevant:
September is National Preparedness Month— a time to prepare yourself and those in your care for emergencies and disasters. Take a step toward preparedness. Create and maintain a comprehensive file of information about the person you are caring for. Whether you use an electronic format or a three-ring binder, keep the file where you can grab it quickly in an emergency or on your way out the door to an appointment.
Some items to include in a Patient File:
- Care recipient’s medical history
- Physician Contact Information
- Health history (e.g. surgeries, other medical conditions)
- Medication List
- Insurance Information (e.g., prescription, vision, dental, long-term care, etc.)
- Legal Documents
- Living Will
- Durable power of attorney for Health Care (also known as a Health Care Proxy)
- Power of Attorney for Finances
- Contact information for care recipient’s lawyer
- Contact information for relatives and close friends
The Pennsylvania Link to Aging and Disability Resources Service Area 13 partners’ network likes this list a lot; in fact, the FEELING SAFE – BEING SAFE training workshop offered by the Berks-Lancaster-Lebanon Service Area partners’ networks includes the same information in the planning process.
If you would like information about FEELING SAFE – BEING SAFE, contact the Berks-Lancaster-Lebanon Service Area coordinator. Call or text: 717.380.9714. Email: email@example.com.