National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign created annually in March by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign focuses on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
“Go Further with Food” is the theme for 2018, and its importance is appropriate for many reasons. The foods you choose throughout your day do make a difference for you and your family. Preparing foods to go further at home and within the community can have a positive impact, as well. As nutrition experts, Academy members (dietitians) can help people adopt healthier eating styles, while reducing food loss and waste.
The Key Messages of 2018 include:
- Include a variety of healthful foods from all of the food groups on a regular basis.
- Consider the foods you have on hand before buying more at the store.
- Buy only the amount that can be eaten or frozen within a few days and plan ways to use leftovers later in the week.
- Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the amount that’s right for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
- Continue to use good food safety practices.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
- Realize the benefits of healthy eating by consulting with a registered dietitian nutritionist. RDNs can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
Throughout March, Purfoods Registered Dietitians @ Mom’s Meals NourishCare will provide daily nutrition and health tips that will encourage you to “Go Further with Food”. Stay tuned for activities that will increase your food and nutrition knowledge, offer opportunities to stretch your food dollar and maybe provide some tasty samples and recipes from the Chefs in R&D. Let’s Go Further with Food!