Persons who are deaf or hard of hearing need to know that you can get help for life-threatening emergencies by sending a text to 9-1-1. You can also send text messages to 2-1-1.
Because not all of Pennsylvania’s 69 Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs) have text-to-talk capability, YOU MUST TEXT YOUR ADDRESS.
“Text-to-911 is the ability to send a text message to reach 911 emergency call takers from your mobile phone or device. However, because text-to-911 is currently only available in certain locations, you should always make a voice call to contact 911 during an emergency whenever possible.
- TEXT-TO-9-1-1: What you need to know
- Pennsylvania’s Emergency Management Agency’s TEXT-to-9-1-1 Website
For non-life-threatening emergency situations, call 2-1-1. To send a text to 2-1-1, text your ZIP CODE to 898211
211 is a free, confidential referral and information helpline and website that connects people of all ages and from all communities to the essential health and human services they need, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
211 can be accessed by phone or computer. A toll-free call to 211 connects you to a community resource specialist in your area who can put you in touch with local organizations that provide critical services that can improve—and save—lives.
You’ll find information about:
- supplemental food and nutrition programs
- shelter and housing options and utilities assistance
- emergency information and disaster relief
- employment and education opportunities
- services for veterans
- health care, vaccination and health epidemic information
- addiction prevention and rehabilitation programs
- reentry help for ex-offenders
- support groups for individuals with mental illnesses or special needs
- a safe, confidential path out of physical and/or emotional domestic abuse
Whether in times of natural disaster or personal crisis, 211 is committed to being the first, most essential resource to anyone who needs help.
Call 211 and speak with a live, highly trained service professional in your area from any cell phone or landline. All calls are private and confidential.